A Plastic Free Midnight Snack

The late night diner on my campus, called The Pilot House, is great in some areas and terrible in others from a plastic crisis lens. Pilot House uses compostable plates and food containers which is really rad, but they also hand out plastic cups, cup tops, straws, utensils, and many desserts wrapped in plastic.

One of practices that bothers me the most is that syrup is handed out in tiny plastic containers. These containers are never enough for one serving of french toast, and individual students end of throwing away three or four containers of syrup every night they eat there.


I have avoided this issue for myself by carrying a glass container of organic syrup with me every time I go, along with my utensils and thermos. Regardless of the stares I may accrue, I am happy to be having the more delicious, plastic free syrup alternative.

I need to get a letter started to Pilot House though to make them consider serving syrup in reusable jugs shared by everyone instead of using the disposable individual servings.

I need to remind myself as I go through this challenge that individual changes are good, but policy changes across Mason campus would be much more impactful. 

Comments

Popular Posts