Project Plastic Check In #1 Successes

I have had some medium successes that I wouldn't categorize as perfect solutions just yet.

- I am using Dr. Bronner's castille soap for my hands and for my dishes. Their bottles are made of 100% post-consumer products and I can easily reuse these bottles once the soap is gone. Still a plastic purchase however.


- I have started using Tom's of Maine toothpaste and deodorant because they have a great recycling take back program. I will be collecting all my bottles and shipping it out to them once I have a full box. I am also using a Preserve toothbrush because they participate in a similar program. While it's great to support companies with recycling initiatives,  I can't call this a plastic free alternative by any means.



In many areas my planning has totally paid off though.

- I tested the homemade my laundry detergent and my clothes feel clean and smell great.  I also am using a drying rack instead of the tumble dryers to reduce my energy use.

- Homemade lavender air freshener is still making me happy.

- For training for my Residence Life position on campus food was served with plastic dining ware. I instead have been bringing my reusable container. I am using a dish cloth that can be reused to clean the containers instead of buying a disposable sponge.



- I brought that I bought in bulk from Massachusetts with me for snacks in the dorm.


- I used my reusable produce bag when I bought fruit from Giant across the street.



- Using bar soap in the shower is going smoothly.

- I used push pins to hang up some of my wall decorations instead of buying command strips. 



So this is where I stand after a few days of moving into the dorm. I am looking forward to adding more sustainable options to my routine, and I will keep everyone posted as I learn what they are. 

Comments

  1. Kudos to you guys. I stumbled across your blog via my Google alert for "plastic free" since that is the title of my book. Not to shamelessly promote it, well, okay I am shamelessly promoting it, because it has tons of ideas that might be helpful to you in your journey, as well as inspiring stories from a lot of other plastic-free activists and heroes.

    I've added your blog to my blogroll at MyPlasticFreeLife.com under "Plastic-Free Bloggers": http://myplasticfreelife.com/blog-roll/

    Let me know if you'd ever like to guest post on MyPlasticFreeLife.com about your experiences. you can email me at beth [at] myplasticfreelife [dot] com. I love to connect with other plastic-free people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, thank you for the recognition. I began reading your book after Ella and I started this journey and I have found it to be incredibly helpful. You are a really big inspiration and I am honored that our link is now on your blog roll. I am so happy to have more people holding us accountable as we work to go through college plastic free.

    This really means a lot to me,
    Roger :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts