Project Plastic Check In #1 Failures

Hello Folks! I am happy/excited/nervous/and all sorts of things to announce that Project Plastic has officially begun. I started my challenge when I moved into my George Mason dorm on Sunday, August 19th. It has come with a fair share of successes and failures so far.

First with my failures. Every time I have produced plastic waste anywhere, I have been hanging onto it and bringing it back to the dorm. Here is my collected plastic so far...



My plastic obstacles include....

- Most of my textbooks have been wrapped in plastic shrink wrap. This is especially disapointing since most of them are Environmental Textbooks.
- I received a lot of junk mail over the summer which came with the plastic screens on the envelopes.
- Every time I get a package it comes with some form of plastic bubble wrap. 
- A student leader training I went to involved plastic sticker name tags.


- I haven't done enough research on biodegradable tape options that won't ruin my dorm walls, so I ended buying a roll of blue painter's tape (that came in plastic). The plastic wrapping and the tape I take down at the end of the year will end of going in my plastic bucket.

 
- I haven't yet mastered a good shampoo alternative. The jury is still out.
- I am waiting on a new shaving kit to come in the mail that will increase my reduce my plastic use.

Comments

Popular Posts