Who said environmentalism had to be smelly?

Let's be real. Life can often smell terrible. Thankfully being plastic free doesn't mean we have to sacrifice our fresh smelling homes or dorm rooms though.  Home made air fresheners are insanely easy to prepare.
My first homemade air freshener!
I was pretty attached to my Frebreeze bottle last semester, but I realize now that it is senseless to pay for a plastic bottle full of questionable synthetic chemicals, when making natural spray is so easy. Making this lavender spray literally took me less than thirty seconds.

The recipe I used only contains....
   
     - 1/2 cup of water
     - 5 drops of lavender essential oils (Any essential oil could be substituted based on preference)

Essential oils are basically highly concentrated aroma goodness that derive completely from plants. There are a wide selection of different kinds, and best of all they usually come in glass bottles. Essential oils may initially seem to be on the pricey side, but when you consider that you only need a few drops to make a pretty powerful freshener, you realize this is actually a money saver.

Ella introduced me to the wonders of essentials oils when she took me to Debra's Natural Gourmet, a eco friendly health food store in West Concord. We were also able to find little glass spray bottles to use there. I will be reusing this bottle over and over again as I go though the year.

                               
Baking soda is also known to naturally absorb unwanted odors. Come to find out it is used in a lot of kitty litter. I plan on keeping a little dish of baking soda in my suite's bathroom at school. I will keep all you blog readers posted on how my suite mates react to this and whether or not the soda makes a noticeable difference.

I love learning about sustainable changes that involve far more benefits than sacrifices. These freshener solutions are going to save me money, keep me healthier, and take me one step closer to being plastic free. My room is also going to smell awesome. This is a win, win, win, win. There is no reason that I will ever need to use a disposable plastic bottle to tackle bad odors again when these homemade options are so easy.

Comments

Popular Posts